Sunday, September 22, 2013

My hijab style

If you hear the word 'hijabista' or 'a hijabster', the first thing that comes to your mind would be the vision of a Malaysian Muslim lady who covers her hair in stylish head gear (the hijab), known as shawls or scarves. So popular is the word among Muslim women in Malaysia now that there is even a magazine named after the word. And of course, true to its name, the magazine features beautiful, stylish women who model dresses or attires that cover the entire body and shawls or scarves that cover the hair in different shades and style. This 'hijabista' trend has caught on among teenagers and young adults as well as those in their early to mid-thirties. Now, being 40 but definitely feeling 30, I still have the desire to look beautiful and stylish like the many 'hijabsters' that I stalk follow on instagram or fashion blogs. But who am I kidding eh? I don't think that I even come close to becoming a hijabster. I realize now that I don't really have a good fashion sense. But I do try painstakingly to be creative in donning the hijab. Like in these photos below, you would notice that I wear my hijab in different styles from time to time.


The photo above was taken this afternoon as I was enjoying my coffee drink at espressolab. It was good coffee by the way. Now, the head-gear or hijab I am wearing was bought yesterday from Ariani store, a very popular chain of stores selling shawls and scarves. Even though the head-gears are rather expensive (some costs a whopping RM1000, mind you!), I like the various styles that the store carries. The one I am wearing in the photo used to sell at RM300 but I got it on a 50% discount. And the lavender colored inner layer costs RM50. So, in total, I wasted spent RM200 for this particular head-gear. But Sarah (my bestfriend daughter) told me cheekily that wearing this hijab makes me look like a mom or in other word, 'old' (oh noooo)!! What do you think? 

Ok, in the next photo, you can see me donning the large cotton shawl. The cotton shawl is my favorite as the material is soft and easy to shape. You can also see me wearing a black inner layer. The cotton shawl is pretty cheap as it only cost me RM30 to get it from a kiosk at the Empire Shopping Gallery in Subang Jaya.


Below is me in another popular hijab brand called Fareeda. I used to go crazy over the Fareeda scarves and to date I have about 30 of them in my closet. The thing I like most about Fareeda scarves is the clever color combinations used for the different layers.



The next photo is me in the Cosry glitter shawl. Yeah, glitters are in trend at the moment. The material for this one is also easy to shape but it is quite thick and your head would be sweating profusely in the hot and humid Malaysian weather. Besides, the thick material prevents you from clearly hearing what other people are saying, especially if you are wearing the inner scarf too. So, it is not a good idea to wear this shawl to class when you are a lecturer like me. Hahahaha....I was like "eh?" "aaaa?" "what did you say?" "come again?" "pardon?" the whole time when I first wore this kind of shawl to class. I was pretty sure that my students thought that I was handicapped. 


Next, you can see me wearing the hijab style called the hoodie. Bought it from AlHumaira which is a popular online store. Wearing this so called hoodie requires oneself to wear an inner scarf that covers the person's neck so as not to expose it. As you can see, the inner I was wearing is the crossed style one. I think I look better in such inner compared to the normal round ones.



The last photo is me in a red crossed style inner with a long black shawl tied around it. I kind of like the way I look in this hijab style.



So, that's it.....a little explanation about the different hijab styles of a Malaysian Muslim hijabster lady! Hope you have enjoyed reading this post!




No comments:

Post a Comment